Justin Bieber - Justin Bieber Impressed Protege With Writing Skills

Justin Bieber surprised Carly Rae Jepsen with his songwriting abilities when the pair first met.

Justin Bieber surprised Carly Rae Jepsen with his songwriting abilities.

The 'Baby' hitmaker has championed the Canadian singer/songwriter, even appearing in the music video for her song 'Call Me Maybe' and while Carly was a fan of Justin's music, she had no idea what a prolific songwriter her is.

Speaking in an MTV twitter chat with fans, she said: ''[Justin's} extremely talented -- and, I mean, obviously that's pretty well-known -- but in ways that I didn't realise. I knew that he sang, I knew that he was sort of infectious in his personality, I knew that he danced, but I didn't know how strong of a songwriter he was, and my first introduction to him was actually in his studio and he played me a couple songs he had written, and I was really impressed and I was so glad, because I really, really liked him.''

Carrly also admires Taylor Swift and would love to work with her.

She said: ''I think I'm open to collaborating with anybody. I have, like, a dream list of people that I want to collaborate with. John Mayer is on that list and Taylor Swift, actually. I think she's an amazing songwriter. I would imagine that would be a cool combination.''