Wahberg tells Bieber to act like Cruise

Mark Wahlberg wants Justin Bieber to act like Tom Cruise in the pair's forthcoming film.

The 'Ted' star is keen for the 18-year-old singer to take inspiration from Tom's pool hustler alter-ego in 1986 sporting drama 'The Color of Money' - which sees Paul Newman's character show him the ropes - when he stars alongside the 41-year-old actor in the as-yet untitled basketball movie.

He said: 'I think of Paul Newman and Tom Cruise in 'The Color of Money' but in the world of inner city basketball.

'I just think personally we have a great idea. He's a great athlete ... he's focused and he wants to have success in the movie world and acting as well.

He's focused and patient about finding the right particular part, working with the right people and I think he'd do a great job.

'I think we have good chemistry and like I said he's right for this particular part and it's an idea we've had for a while.'

Mark is hoping the movie will hit the big screen as early as next year, and he revealed the first draft of the script is complete.

When asked if a 2013 release date looks likely for the motion picture, he replied: 'Possibly, if I have anything to do with it.

'We just want to make it great and we're getting there.'

Justin - who is dating singer-and-actress Selena Gomez - starred as himself in his own 3D concert film 'Never Say Never' last year and he has made cameos in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation', but not everyone in the Wahlberg household is a big fan of the pop star.

Mark - who has four children, Ella, 11, Michael, six, Brendan, four, and two-year-old Grace, with his wife Rhea Durham - added to E!: 'My sons are and my youngest daughter is, but my oldest daughter is not a fan. I think it's when Selena Gomez came into the picture.'