Bieber likes being 'the underdog'

Justin Bieber has said that he doesn't want to be "just another teen heartthrob."

1 of 1 Justin Bieber

The singer is set to begin his Believe world tour later this month and admitted that he wants to take his career to the "next level".

Speaking to USA Today, Bieber said: "I don't want to be just another teen heartthrob. I know some people are waiting for me to fail, thinking, 'Oh, his time's up'.

"Well, I like being the underdog, and this tour is my chance to take things to the next level.

"I've never put in more hours preparing, because I want [the tour] to be perfect. I want it to be an event.

"I'm with a personal trainer every day. I'm rehearsing every day. I want people to see this tour and go, 'Wow, that was something I didn't expect'."

Bieber added that he has been watching Michael Jackson in preparation for his gigs, adding: "I've been watching videos of his concert tours over and over, he's my inspiration."