Can Justin Bieber Ever Shed His 'Heartthrob' Image?

(Photo: Getty Images)

On the heels of his third album, Believe, and now legally considered and adult, Justin Bieber not only sees himself as a man but as a serious artist. Unfortunately, the 18-year-old pop star realizes that's not exactly how the world sees him, and he's eager to change those perceptions.

In a recent interview with Ryan Seacrest on NBC News, Bieber discussed his evolution as a person, a creator, and a performer, and explained his hope that more people will recognize his transition from teen idol to mature musician. "I feel like I just don't want to be another teen heartthrob I just think that that just annoys me," Bieber told Seacrest. "To think that that's what people will think of me I just want to prove [them] wrong."

As far as Bieber is concerned, he's on his way to being seen as more than a heartthrob. "I think Believe has really showcased what I'm capable of, especially becoming an 18-year-old and becoming an adult. And hearing older people say, 'Wow this new album's great.' Or you know, 'Wow, like I never used to listen to Justin Bieber's music, and now I like his music."

Hollywood publicist and PR expert Jack Keysoyan agrees that Biebz is on his way, but adds that it won't happen overnight. "He is on the right path; he just needs to grow a little more and eventually he will lose his baby look. It's all part of the transition, and it takes time," Keysoyan explains, and he should know after representing the likes of Paris Hilton and Kristin Cavallari. "Justin Timberlake did it, and Justin Bieber definitely has what it takes to get there as well."

So an expansive, genre-hopping record is a good place to start when it comes to changing his ! teen ido l status, but in many ways Bieber just has to let nature take its course. He's still got a lot of growing to do. Our suggestion to accelerate the process: rock a glorious mustache.(Justin Bieber: I'm not a boy, not yet a man, but I have a mustache [photo: Getty Images | alterations by Zimbio)

Related Articles: