Justin Bieber's mum reveals past of sexual abuse

Published: 8:28PM Tuesday September 25, 2012 Source: ONE News

Justin Bieber's mum has revealed her past of unrelenting sex abuse and depression in a new book called Nowhere But Up: The story of Justin Bieber's Mom.

While Bieber's YouTube-to-world star story is widely known, his mother's struggles may surprise his loyal fan base, including his 28 million Twitter followers.

Pattie Mallette's, now 37, struggles started with the painful divorce of her parents and were followed by years of emotional turmoil, hard partying and ended in an eventual turn to God after a suicide attempt about six months before Justin was conceived.

"Writing the book was part of my healing process,'' she said in an interview, the Associated Press reported.

''Just having to relive things as I'm writing it down. There are parts that are still painful to go over.''

She was two years old when her alcoholic, abusive father walked out the door, and three when she was sexually abused for the first time by someone she knew.

Her numerous abusers, including a! male baby sitter and the grandfather of a friend, are acknowledged in the last words of her book.

''To my abusers: I forgive you,'' Mallette wrote.

''I was sexually violated so many times that as the years went by it began to feel normal,'' she wrote.

''It's a strange marriage - knowing something is wrong yet at the same time finding it familiar and commonplace.''

When she got pregnant to Justin's father Jeremy - with whom she shared a four-year relationship starting at 15 - Mallette resisted intense pressure from those around her to have an abortion.

''I knew that I had to do what it took. I just couldn't abort him.''

She first told Justin about her past when he was 12 years old.

''I felt like he was old enough, mature enough to hear my story,'' Mallette said.

''I feel like it's really important for us to talk, and I've always asked him a lot of questions and always tried to protect him from going through the same sort of thing.''

Entertainment News Video

Copyright 2012, Television New Zealand Limited. Breaking and Daily News, Sport & Weather | TV ONE, TV2 | Ondemand