Justin Bieber helps honor Michael Jackson, says he was one person I really wanted to meet

April Chieffo

Prince, Blanket and Paris (L-R), the children of the late pop star Michael Jackson pose with singer Justin Bieber and their grandmother Katherine and uncles Tito and Jackie during a hand & footprint ceremony honoring Michael Jackson at Grauman's Chinese Theatre in the Hollywood section of Los Angeles on January 26, 2012. UPI/Jim Ruymen

Justin Bieber performed at Thursdays Michael Jackson hand & footprint ceremony at Graumans Chinese Theater. The special event, which was attended by Jacksons family, including his three kids, had Bieber opening up about how much he admired the late King of Pop.

You know what? I wish I wouldve been able to meet him, Bieber told Access Hollywood. It was really sad that I basically released my first single the week he passed, so it was really unfortunate. So I feel like, its just really sad. That was one person I really wanted to meet.

Although he never got a chance to meet him, Michael Jackson is still one of Biebers biggest inspirations.

Hes an icon, he added. Every time that I go out on stage, every time I go out and perform, Im always trying to be the best and thats what he always did And theres never gonna be another Michael Jackson as long as anyone lives. I think that hes just incredible.

After Paris Jackson introduced Bieber, he took time to tell the audience just how special he was. According to Celebuzz he got emotional.

I dont usually get nervous, but Im kind of really nervous right now. Basically because Michael meant so much to me and I know he meant a lot to you guys as well, he said before singing Rockin Robin. He was more than entertainer. He was an inspiration the way he was kind, he was gentle and very charitable. Thats why I look up to him. People are going to remember him for his dancing and singing, but people have to remember him for being the man that he was. Everything I do, I look at Michael and I want to be as good as he was.