Justin Bieber Wants To Grow Up At Own Pace

By Breeanna Hare, CNN

POSTED: 5:30 pm EST January 11, 2012UPDATED: 8:14 pm EST January 11, 2012

(CNN) -- Justin Bieber's 18th birthday is looming ahead in March, and while he aims to one day be known as more than a teen sensation, he isn't going to start singing from a more adult perspective just yet."There are people who try to grow up too fast," the pop star tells V magazine. "They're 18, so they're like, I'm not a kid anymore. People need to know I'm not a kid anymore. But at the end of the day, I'm not completely grown-up. I'm still learning."As a result, it doesn't sound like the Biebs will take the usual "I'm not a teen star anymore" PR route, complete with more risque career moves and photos of the star engaging in, shall we say, more grown-up activities."I'm going to grow up how I grow up. I'm not going to try to conform to what people want me to be or go out there and start partying, have people see me with alcohol," Bieber says. "I want to do it at my own pace. But I'm never going to make myself so the kids and the parents don't respect me. There are some artists [who] [parents won't] let their kids go and see because they think they're a bad influence."Instead, Bieber envisions himself doing something similar to what Michael Jackson was able to do, create music that could be enjoyed by a wide swath of age groups."I don't want to start singing about things like sex, drugs, and swearing. I'm into love, and maybe I'll get more into making love when I'm older," he said. "But I want to be someone who is respected by everybody. Because right now, the young people are who make society. Young people determine what's cool. Young people determine what's going to be in style. So I always stick with the young people, that's what I say."

Copyright CNN 2011